Candidate is responsible for developing high speed printable functional coatings – including barrier coatings - for the food and industrial packaging market. The coatings may be solvent based, aqueous or energy curable and supplied as single or multiple packs depending on the application. The successful candidate will be capable of handling multiple projects in parallel with variable development timelines depending on the nature of the project and customer expectations.
Candidate is expected to lead/execute his/her projects using a stage gate process from ideation to a successful commercial launch. Proven experience in printable coatings formulation development and testing is required as well as a good understanding of the chemistry and structure-properties relationships. The candidate will be expected to use his/her creativity in the product development strategy and help secure the IP related to the work while maintaining an active watch on competitive activities in the field.
• Responsible for leading FC projects and timely executing technical work assignments.
• Ensure consideration of economics and environmental, health and safety implications
• Identify and understand the intellectual property for the developed technology including how it fits with regard to competitive IP landscape.
• Demonstrate professional expertise in coatings formulation and share knowledge through coaching, technical reports, team presentations, published articles and/or conference papers.
• Bring forward new ideas for growth, profitability and productivity and show innovation skills.
• Working both independently and effectively in collaboration with global technical, marketing and sales partners involved in the projects.
• Strong track record of innovation, product development and commercialization including the introduction of key technologies to meet market & customer requirements.
• Strong problem solving skills with the ability to think strategically about complex problems and anticipate future trends and needs.
• Hands on disposition with demonstrated lab skills related to coating formulation (solvent, water, EC). Comfortable working across development and application laboratories, process engineering and at customer’s facilities.
• Results orientated with demonstrated ability to drive projects to completion and interact effectively
• Proven applied and theoretical knowledge in printable coatings including materials, formulations, and application testing.
• Experience with coating deposition processes
• Strong project management skills.
• Proven ability to deliver results in time
• Demonstrated understanding of chemistry and structure/property relationship in coatings
• Experience with Six Sigma or Quality tools desired. Must show proficiency in role.
• Excellent oral and written presentation skills
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Proven ability to innovate and understanding of patent filing and literature searches
An advanced degree in Chemistry, Material Science or related field is required for this position as well as directly relevant work experience in printable coatings formulation.
Candidates with MS degree should have at least 5 years of direct experience in industrial coating formulation development and application testing.
Candidates with Ph.D. would need to demonstrate 3+ years of relevant coating development work including synthesis, formulation and application testing.
Strong candidates with a BS degree in Chemistry and 15+ years of directly relevant experience in printable coating formulation and testing may be considered.
Human Resources Contact:
• David Benson – firstname.lastname@example.org
Sr. Coatings Development Chemist/Scientist
The Global FC team is looking for a high performance individual capable of delivering results for the Global Functional Coatings team to help one of Sun Chemical’s top growth areas.
Published September 4, 2013
blog comments powered by Disqus