The Technical Manager will be a key contributor to the advancement of Nexeo’s value added services to our customers and suppliers. The Technical Manager role is a new position to our organization reporting to the Manager of Research & Application Development.
As a leading supplier of chemicals and raw materials to the architectural and industrial coatings markets, we have a wide range of core commodity and specialty products, along with dedicated technical sales support, to meet your formulation and regulatory needs. From high-performance and marine paints to powder coatings, you can count on our solid line of products from world-class suppliers, including Arizona Chemical, Dow Corning, Hexion, Rhodia, Cristal, Arkema, Dow, Citgo and Eastman, as well as various imported products to meet your needs.
Tall Oil Fatty Acid
Solvents - Alcohols
Solvents - Aliphatic
Solvents - Amines
Solvents - Glycol Ethers
Solvents - Glycols
Solvents - Ketones
Surfactants - Anionic
Surfactants - Cationic
Surfactants - Nonionic
Nexeo Solutions is currently seeking an experienced Technical Manager – PICA and Lubricants with experience in a supervisory role, laboratory project management, implementation of laboratory procedures, and new formulation development. The Technical Manager will be a key contributor to the advancement of Nexeo’s value added services to our customers and suppliers. The Technical Manager role is a new position to our organization reporting to the Manager of Research & Application Development and will serve as the technical leader at our new laboratory with the focus on PICA (paints, inks, coatings and adhesives) and lubricant markets. The laboratory is located in Houston, TX. The role will be a working leader with oversight to process, staff, etc. as well as hands on laboratory work. In the course of the role, the Technical Manager will:
• Manage customer projects, product development and application testing for a wide range of performance materials including wetting agents, defoamers, dispersants, biocides, etc. for the paints & coatings market.
• Use analytical and/or physical testing techniques in practical coatings applications.
• Build and lead a team of chemists.
• Prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and effectively schedule personnel and equipment to optimize lab efficiency.
• Perform all standard methods personally, develop new methods as required and take responsibility for training staff in such methods.
• Review and analyze all data acquired and authorize its release.
• Design studies based on client needs; properly communicate project status; and deliver results to clients through direct phone contact and written final reports.
• Stay current with recent development, innovations and technologies that may improve products and manufacturing processes.
• Communicate with Product Managers and Market Managers to stay updated on new raw materials and innovative products.
• Write project reports, manufacturing procedures and publications.
• Make internal and external presentations of research findings.
• Execute, interpret and document application tests in a self-organized manner.
• Prioritize projects together with Sales and Marketing.
• Manage resources and ensures proper allocation for timely completion of projects.
Desired Skills and Expertise
• Bachelor of Science in chemistry, materials science or related field. MS or Ph.D. preferred.
• Have at least five (5) years of experience in paints and coatings laboratory using analytical and/or physical testing techniques in practical coatings applications demonstrating creativity and a good understanding of each chemical component and its function in the formulation.
• Demonstrate independent and proactive problem solving skills.
• Demonstrated communication and influencing abilities to work internally and externally.
• Proven leadership abilities including managing and building teams.
• Ability to work across functions, organizations and processes in a start-up environment.
• Knowledge of regulatory trends including VOC, HAPs, APEO-free, and bio-based alternatives.
• Knowledge of common ASTM methods.
• Computer literacy: MS-Office (Excel, Access, Word, Outlook, Power Point).