•The chemist is responsible for coordinating and executing the pigment qualification and administration. As Raw Material Expert, this position will review the current market for pigments and effect pigments and determine the best products for use in OEM coatings, directly influencing the strategic raw material use for pigments and effect pigments.
• The successful candidate possesses the ability to design and organize experiments, with a strong emphasis on creative problem solving, strategic thinking, and effective organization and communication.
• The interaction will be with customers, suppliers, and the global BASF organization. Specifically, this position works very closely with the North American Color Excellence Laboratory for pigment qualification.
• This laboratory is located in Mangalore and in Southfield, and support and technical exchange is necessary on a very frequent basis. This includes, but is not limited to prioritization, decision making, training, documentation, and representing the Color Excellence group position and activities with BASF’s customers, pigment suppliers, and other functional areas such as global and regional purchasing, manufacturing, and technical upstream personnel. Servicing all aspects of new introductions, troubleshooting, and launch support are also expected.
• The position also supports color matching activities through pigmentation recommendation and leading a team of experts to identify, advise, and attain acceptable color matches to customer requirements.
• Thorough knowledge of suitable products available from the established toolboxes is necessary.
• Accurately assessing and quickly providing pigmentations is critical for the North American color matching and styling and launch programs for all model years.
• This work includes, but is not limited to, analytical investigation of pigments via microscopic techniques, color spectrophotometric analysis, and use of the most recent color measurement tools and techniques.
• Additionally, the ability to help procure and manage the new pigment introductions is essential to the success of the annul color programs. These pigments must be provided in the proper quantity, quality, and fit to local regulations and meet the timing in the laboratory to ensure the likelihood of customer-acceptable performance.
• The timing and efficiency of the color matching processes in the technical team will depend strongly on the proper documentation and feedback provided by the expert working in this function.
• Team leading skills are necessary to attain success for supporting the Annual Color Programs.
BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
• Bachelor’s Degree in chemistry or related science field
• Three or more years’ experience in coatings R&D or in the field required
• Prior Supervisory experience required
• SAP experience strongly preferred
• Strong presentation and communication skills are required
• The ability to travel up to 20% including internationally is required.
• Learn more about BASF in Southeastern Michigan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_6UQ7bWxag&list=PL0784B53A12D98272