This position has overall responsibility for developing, growing, directing and managing the profitable operation of an industrial blasting and coating facility and its marine vessel decking division. Specialty Finishes performs heavy industrial shop painting to commercial industry for a wide range of large and small customers. The Marine Decking Division removes, refurbishes, and replaces various forms of marine decking from tiles, carpets, paints and other resurfacing materials. Work is performed in blasting and coating shops and marine ports in Portland Oregon,Puget Sound and Alaska. The General Manager assures the increasing profitability of the Company. Specialty Finishes is expected to grow through efficient production and quality customer service into a high producing company. The General Manager directs the staff in these efforts. The work requires a strong background in managing all facets of a production company particularly providing the oversight to evaluate proce sses and creating and assuring implementation of improvements to accomplish tight goals. The job necessitates being able to manage production efforts in multiple locations simultaneously. In addition to production oversight, the General Manager directs customer development, assures outstanding service and customer interaction, marketing and financing production operations.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
(This list is not intended to detail all aspects of the assigned work but is representative of the job’s overall responsibilities)
1. Provides general management over finance, marketing, sales, manufacturing, engineering, materials, and quality assurance/control for both the industrial blasting and coating and the marine decking division; makes decisions regarding improving productivity, quality, and efficiency of operations.
2. Leads the creation of a company image and quality which distinguishes Specialty Finishes as the premier provider of these services within the west coast regional market and thereby attract new business.
3. Creates and pursues opportunities for new business to increase sales and revenues; develops and communicates the strategic business plan and its marketing components; defines and implements targeted sales strategies; tracks and adjust sales approaches to maximize results.
4. Develops key customer contacts and nurtures long-term relationships; involves appropriate members of the organization in multi-level selling; creates and maintains methods for measuring and tracking customer satisfaction; manages customer contract issues and develops appropriate framing of terms and conditions; maintains necessary balance of customer service and business protection.
5. Oversees and directs, either personally or through subordinate supervisors, planning and layout of equipment, workflow, assembly methods, and work force utilization.
6. Leads and directs the work of others; develops, trains and provides performance feedback to managers, supervisors and others; determines staffing requirements and works through corporate human resources for recruiting, employee relations and other personnel services.
7. Qualifies, screens and develops a nucleus of materials suppliers and subcontractors for each potential job location.
8. Assures accurate forecasting of operating costs; ensures the most efficient and effective deployment of limited resources to ensure project success; partners with other business units to maximize staffing resources.
9. Supports the business mission and vision through modeling the desired behaviors and communicating and reinforcing the messages through daily activities and interactions.
Acts with considerable independence using creativity and product knowledge to build and retain a strong customer base and increase sales revenues. The role exercises responsibility for the management and oversight of all staff. Manages a production environment with multiple locations occasionally necessitating locating production where the work is. When exploring new directions or policies, considers and consults with corporate representatives to assure compatibility with holding company goals and initiatives. The incumbent reports to a senior level executive within the holding company.
Directly Supervises Superintendents, Estimators, Office Manager and Administrative support staff.
This position interacts internally with various managers/supervisors at varied levels and hourly craft employees. He/she will interact with customers on-going.
Desired Skills and Expertise
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Knowledge of production processes in a commodity driven competitive production environment.
· Knowledge of principles involved in the development of a cost structure for a production process.
· Knowledge of process improvement and implementation.
· Knowledge of customer development techniques to meet business needs.
· Knowledge of techniques to motivate and inspire employees.
· Ability to apply a broad range of experience to the specific production environment. Ability to grow the profitability of a business unit through cost reduction.
· Ability to successfully increase market share and drive profits upward.
· Ability to influence and lead others in achieving a shared vision.
· Ability to understand production scheduling and constraints and push to project completion.
· Ability to evaluate, identify and oversee implementation of process improvements.
· Ability to prepare and analyze reports.
· Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally and make sense of complex product specifications.
· Ability to lead the work of others.
· Skilled in leading others.
· Skilled in developing process improvements.
· Skilled in analysis of complex production problems.
· Skilled in developing and maintaining productive customer relationships.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
BA/BS or equivalent work experience is required.
Minimum ten (10) years of related and responsible management experience in a fast paced production environment.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS:
May require membership and some certifications closely related to industrial coatings.
Though much of the work will be performed in an office setting, the physical demands for the General Manager include the requirement to capably move throughout the industrial facility, climb stairs and ladders, navigate over uneven surfaces and around large machinery. Generating and maintaining a solid customer base necessitates the ability to communicate quickly and responsively to questions and requests for proposals, use of phones, computer equipment and other office related tools. The work also includes the requirement to work long hours, travel out of town and be on call as needed. Work includes stressful situations with tight deadlines.
While in production areas will be exposed to all weather conditions, noise, dusts and odors. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must have the ability to perform the essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others.
Vigor Industrial, and its wholly owned subsidiaries, practice Equal Opportunity Employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, status as a qualified individual with a disability, a protected veteran, or any other protected status.