Welcome Guest to Coatings World    Login || Register
Last Updated Friday, October 31 2014
Print

Chilean paint market tightens with competition



Chile's paint and coatings industry is one of the most developed in Latin America and expects positive growth.



By Charles W. Thurston



Published May 12, 2008
Related Searches: Color
Chile's estimated $200 million paint and coatings market is coming under increasing pricing pressure as manufacturers compete more aggressively for sales, while raw materials costs escalate and paint overproduction continues, according to Fitch analysts Andrea Jiminez and Rina Jarufe, in Santiago.

Despite greater competition in the architectural paint market, the outlook for consumption in Chile is strong and expected to rise with the four to five percent gross domestic product (GDP) growth projected for this year. Last year Chile's economy grew at 5.1%, according to the Chilean Central Bank.

One reason for the strong expectations for the Chilean economy is record prices for copper exports, which have largely insulated the country from the fallout of the U.S. economic slowdown. Indeed, Chilean GDP per capita is well over $11,000, one of the highest levels in Latin America, and inspired a 7.7% increase in household spending during 2007. Per capita consumption of paint in the country is only 1.3 gallons.

In a recent review of the credit risk for Tricolor S.A., of Santiago, one of Chile's leading domestic paint producers, the Fitch analysts indicated that the architectural segment represents approximately 60% of overall sales for all manufacturers in Chile, while the industrial segment represents the other 40%. In contrast, Tricolor derives 70% of its sales from the architectural segment, and 30% from the industrial segment. Some two-thirds of Tricolor architectural sales are made through hardware or box stores, while one-third are through large distributors like Sodimac, Easy and MTS, Fitch reported.

Tricolor reported roughly flat sales of approximately $94 million in 2007 compared with 2006, but still maintains a stable outlook, the Fitch analysts reported. The company had little success in raising prices during 2007 despite rising oil and petrochemical costs, which account for 80% of Tricolor's materials costs. As a result, Tricolor margins eroded by 5.8% last year, the analysts reported. The market preference for oil-based paints in Chile is growing faster than water-based paints, the Fitch analysts noted.

Tricolor has sales offices throughout the country, including the cities of Antofagasta, Concepción, Temuco, Puerto Montt and Punta Arenas. The company manufactures latex paints, enamels, varnishes, anti-corrosives, industrial paints and other products at factories in Vina del Mar, and in Lima, Peru. Tricolor controls the Pinturas Iris brand in Chile and the Pinturas Vencedor brand in Peru.

The Fitch analysts noted that the Peruvian paint and coatings market is far less developed than in Chile, with per capita paint consumption only 0.3 gallons per year in Peru and a per capita GDP of only approximately $6,500. Still, Peru's economy expanded by nine percent during 2007, and early International Monetary Fund indicators suggest that this year seven percent GDP growth will take place. Fitch recently upgraded Peru's sovereign credit risk to investment grade, indicative of expectations of strong economic performance there. Chile was previously the only country in Latin America with an investment grade for sovereign risk.


blog comments powered by Disqus
Receive free Coatings World emails
Sign up now to receive the weekly newsletter, and more!

Enter your email address:
Company Spotlight
Siltech Corporation
225 Wicksteed Avenue
Toronto, ON, M4H 1G5
Canada
View Profile
Houchi Chemical Co., Ltd
No.56, Fu Chow Street
Taipei, Taipei, 100
Taiwan
View Profile
Lubrizol Advanced Materials, Inc.
9911 Brecksville Road
Cleveland, OH, 44141
US
View Profile
AZ Electronic Materials Co., Ltd.
No. 458-6, Sinsing Road Hu Kou Township Hsinchu Country 303, Taiwan
Hsinchu Country, Taiwan, 303
Taiwan
View Profile
Sunin Machine Co., Ltd.
No.96, Chiao Ho Rd ,Chungho Dist
New Taipei City, Taiwan , 235
Taiwan Roc
View Profile
Shamrock Technologies, Inc.
Foot of Pacific Street
Newark, NJ, 07114
USA
View Profile
BASF Corporation
100 Campus Drive
Florham Park, NJ, 07932
US
View Profile
Keeneyes
18F, No.85, Sec. 1, Chung-Shiao E. Rd.
Taipei, Taiwan, 100
R.O.C.
View Profile
Micro Powders, Inc.
580 White Plains Rd.
Tarrytown, NY, 10591
US
View Profile
Follow Coatings World On