The top findings of this study include:
The Deck as an Extension of Your Home
- A third of deck owners update/redecorate their deck more frequently that other rooms in the house and 68% of respondents felt like they have a new deck after it’s been re-stained
- The study also found that among bedroom size (81%), an updated kitchen (77%), closet space (77%) and curb appeal (the appearance of the home exterior) (71%), decks were right there at 73% in items home buyers are looking for.
- 41% of respondents shared that having outdoor space/deck played a very important role in selecting their current house! And knowing that deck space is important to sellers, 41% thought it would add “great value” to the sale of their home as well.
- 55% of adults that have worked outdoors on a deck said they are more productive
- Nearly half (47%) of adults work in a non-traditional location (home or other) at least 20% of their workable hours. Deck owners are more likely to work more hours in non-traditional locations than non-deck owners.
- 62% of respondents said their outlook on life is better when the spend time outdoors
- 74% of respondents reported that spending time outdoors allows them to think freely without distraction
Coatings World spoke with Mike Kozlowski, Director of Marketing at Thompson's WaterSeal, for an exclusive look at this survey's results.
CW: What was behind the motivation for the survey?
As a leading brand in the Exterior Stains and Waterproofer Category, we closely monitor consumer trends and seek new opportunities to learn from our consumers. We decided to delve into three cultural areas that are relevant to our target consumer and needed to be explored.
CW: How was the information collected?
A total of 1,017 U.S. adults (18+) completed the online survey, fielded by Critical Mix from December 20 -22, 2016. The survey was a nationally representative sample of adults in the U.S. including 57% males and 43% females. The survey was 21 questions in length and took participants around 15 minutes to complete.
CW: Were the results surprising?
Yes, we were especially surprised to find that decks were scored within just a few points among factors such as bedroom size, an updated kitchen, closet space and curb appeal, when we examined which features home buyers are looking for.
CW: Any additional interpretation or perspective on what was found?
We are continuing to see a rise in the trend of transforming outdoor spaces into an extension of one’s home. Whether that may be for relaxing or working, Thompson’s WaterSeal has a portfolio of products that can play a key role in creating this functional outdoor space by providing beauty and protection.