Kelly-Moore Paint Company, Inc. accepted the "Green Large Business of the Year" award during a banquet hosted by the San Carlos Chamber of Commerce. Besting 100,000 California companies, Kelly-Moore was selected by the Green Business Committee for its series of recycling programs that diverted 60% of its waste and for its ability to motivate employees to commit to its recycling effort, a rare achievement for a company in the chemical-based paint industry. Kelly-Moore was also recognized for its carbon offset program resulting in the San Carlos Plant being carbon neutral.
Previously, when half-used paint cans were returned, the paint and cans were considered unrecyclable waste. Now, Kelly-Moore uses a system that removes the labels and residue from the cans making them recyclable. The returned paint is extensively sorted by color and type and remanufactured into eCoat.
In April 2009, Kelly-Moore started a program to recycle Super Sack storage bags, cut up plastic totes and other previously unrecyclable containers, resulting in a 10-15% reduction in landfill waste. Additionally, Kelly-Moore’s factory management developed a collection system for rainwater to offset water usage and built a berm around the manufacturing plant to prevent any possible paint spillage from getting into the local creek.
Since becoming certified as a green business in January 2009 by the California Legislature Assembly, Kelly-Moore continues to green its manufacturing facility by:
• Replacing old HVAC units with energy-efficient ones, which has reduced electricity consumption by 40%;
• Installing a new dust collector reducing plant noise levels and energy consumption by approximately 50%;
• Enrolling in a PG&E program to buy carbon offsets which reduces the company’s carbon footprint, making Kelly-Moore’s plant carbon neutral;
• Capturing waste heat generated from the plant’s large compressor and using it to heat an adjacent building; and
• Eliminating non-recyclable Styrofoam cups.
Kelly-Moore Receives "Green Large Business of the Year" Award
By Tim Wright
Published February 2, 2010
Related Breaking News
Related Paint & Coatings Manufacturer News