In its June 21 edition, USA Today carried an editorial by Andrew Liveris, chairman and CEO, The Dow Chemical Company, which outlines his company’s vision for an “Advanced Manufacturing Plan” to rejuvenate the U.S. economy, regrow jobs and allow the manufacturing industry to compete successfully again in the global marketplace.
The plan calls for action on a number of fronts to establish a broad policy framework that will enable economic growth in this key sector, which employs nearly 13 million people in the U.S. and six million in related fields. As part of an integrated and strategic approach that will incentivize manufacturers to create the jobs of the future, Liveris recommends a focus on:
• New infrastructure that modernizes our nation’s communication networks, electric grids, and air, sea and land transportation systems;
• Investment in R&D, which has proven to lead to economic growth, greater worker productivity and higher standards of living;
• Funding for education to enhance key skills for manufacturing in science, technology, engineering and mathematics;
• A “pro-trade” policy to create reciprocal market access with important trading partners;
• An alternative energy strategy that encourages efficiency, lower carbon alternatives and an expanded traditional supply;
• Smart regulatory reform to ensure product innovation isn’t bogged down by regulations that lack a solid scientific basis;
• Lowering corporate taxes and issuing R&D tax credits to incentivize manufacturing companies to operate in the U.S.; and
• Civil justice reform to control spiraling costs.
The USA Today editorial appeared the same day Dow hosted vice president Joe Biden at its global headquarters in Midland, Michigan, where the company showcased several of its major green tech initiatives.
Dow CEO Calls for a U.S. Advanced Manufacturing Plan in USA Today
Published July 6, 2010
Related Breaking News
- Axalta Chairman and CEO, Examines Role of Private Equity in Coatings Industry Value Chain
- Axalta Coating Systems Receives Multi-site ISO 14001 Certification for Global Manufacturing Facilit
- OMNOVA Solutions Launches PLIOTEC HDT12 Resin for Anti-corrosion DTM Coatings
- Smart Coatings Market Set to Reach $ 5.8 Billion by 2020
Related Paint & Coatings Manufacturer News