The group’s primary focus is to:
• Advance environmentally friendly non-halogenated flame retardant solutions in North America
• Bring together manufacturers and users of major flame retardant technologies
• Support fire safety through innovative, reliable and sustainable fire performance solutions, using products based on non-halogen phosphorus (P), nitrogen (N) and inorganic compounds (metal ions, hydroxides)
• Sponsor and participate in conferences/workshops on flame retardants and end uses
• Monitor and work with industry and regulatory organizations
Halogenated flame retardants pose risk factors which has compelled industry and government regulators to consider non-halogen alternatives. For example, in 2006 the European Union banned the use of certain halogenated flame retardants due to environmental and health concerns. Consumer electronic original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) have since instituted voluntary bans on the use of bromine- and chlorine-based materials in their products.