Hempel introduced a versatile high-build epoxy intermediate coating – Hempaprime Multi 500 – that delivers faster drying times and shorter minimum overcoat intervals for the oil & gas, infrastructure and power generation sector.
Hempaprime Multi 500 has been specifically designed to be fast drying to optimize productivity by shortening the man-hours needed for application - enabling three coats to be applied in 20 percent less time than current products without compromising on quality, strength, finish or the high-volume solids of the product, according to the company.
“This versatile coating can be used as a direct to metal or on primed surfaces, like a primer, intermediate or topcoat application and is also ideal for minor repairs offering customers simplicity with a single coating solution,” said Robert Wong, group director, head of Protective & Industrial, Hempel. “This is a high-performance solution to assure a long service life for heavy industrial applications and to help minimize maintenance requirements.”
Hempel also launched a versatile activated zinc primer - Hempadur Avantguard 860. This product combines best in class corrosion protection, at the level of inorganic zinc silicate, with the application benefits of an epoxy. Specifically designed to protect steel structures in moderate to severe corrosive environments, it has been developed to overcome the problems experienced with zinc silicate primers application, without compromising corrosion protection and boosting productivity.
New products continue to be a focus as Sherwin-Williams works with its customers to improve their finishing operations. “We have a portfolio of products focused on the exterior sign market in North America; The GENESIS Lustral Single Stage System delivers high-performance qualities that include excellent durability, outstanding resistance to fading and chalking, and fast dry times that lead to improved productivity,” said Dave Zelch, VP, Global Marketing, General Industrial Coatings, Sherwin-Williams Company. “The Powdura OneCure Primer and Topcoat Powder System is an advanced single-cure primer and topcoat system; it offers enhanced edge coverage and corrosion resistance. This formula co-reacts and cross-links, without the need to gel or cure the primer, saving finishers time and energy in their operations.”
Michael Cash, SVP, Industrial Coatings at Axalta Coating Systems noted that the company has launched a number of new products.
“These innovations include:
- Sprayable thermoplastic coatings, which allows our ultra-durable thermoplastic technology to become applicable to a much wider audience of coaters;
- Alesta Cool coatings, which help lower energy consumption;
- Alesta Speed to coat and cure at faster line speeds;
- Matte and gloss versions of Alesta Anti-Graffiti coatings;
- An approved applicator program for architects working on global projects, which evaluates and approves the consistency of all applicators of Axalta powder products globally. This also grants our customers peace of mind when choosing Axalta for their aluminum façade and architectural projects;
- A full line coating system to meet the specific needs of vinyl flooring manufacturers. Axalta has comprehensive experience in the vinyl flooring space, which has become a major player in America’s wood flooring market, growing approximately 20 percent in the last five years. Vinyl flooring is naturally more water resistant, but still requires high performing, durable UV-curable finishes that complement the natural aesthetic, similar to organic wood substrates;
- A reinforced wood coating offering, such as commercial waterborne U/V systems, a variety of low VOC solvent-borne systems and our Zenith Waterborne line, which is designed to be a substitution for solvent-borne kitchen and furniture coatings;
- Durapon 70 high solids PVDF coating – designed with higher durability and faster coating capability than the general coil and extrusion market requirements today;
- FlexBase liquid system to coat plastic substrates, which has become the standard in the sports equipment industry;
- The redesign of our Imron Industrial portfolio, which unites industrial-grade durability and performance, with a diverse, luxurious, and long-lasting color palette;
- Eleglas glass coatings product portfolio, which includes a shatter-proof technology that locks glass fragments into place in the event of breakage;
- Axalta’s industrial business plans to continue globalizing our new and acquired technologies while continuing to research the evolving needs of the market and responding to these needs with technologies that promote environmental responsibility, long-term durability, color excellence, and product usability. In total, we expect to launch more than 100 new industrial products globally for the third consecutive year, so our pipeline of new products is comprehensive and competitive. Axalta is properly equipped in both experience and resources to be an agile and creative asset to customers determined to move the industry forward. Being a proactive, focused partner is what will help us grow and develop in this industry.”
“Expressions is highly versatile, adding depth and dimension to any print, from traditional patterns to modern designs,” said Chris Bradford, segment director, Packaging, Coil and Extrusion, AkzoNobel Industrial Coatings. “It may also be used to create very authentic representations of natural materials, such as wood grain, granite or slate. Expressions are extremely durable and weather-resistant, and it so it is ideal for exterior applications, including garage doors, siding, roofing and architectural accents. It can also be used in applications such as wall panels to create innovative and exciting interiors. For packaging coatings, AkzoNobel offers Aquaprime 104, a soft matte varnish that adds visual distinction to beverage cans. Brands appreciate the special look and feel that allows their packaging to truly stand out.”
PPG recently introduced SPECTRACRON ADVANTEDGE HPP primer, a patented polyurethane primer for use in heavy-duty equipment, general finishing and transportation applications. The new primer provides extended overall corrosion protection, better performance on sharp laser-cut edges, and superior chip resistance compared to traditional two-component epoxy primers.
“Because it incorporates proprietary resin and anti-corrosion pigments and is formulated with no heavy metals, Spectracron AdvantEdge HPP primer offers customers a more sustainable solution for achieving superior corrosion resistance and sharp-edged performance,” said Tim Knavish, PPG SVP, Industrial Coatings. “The new primer also is compatible with common hardeners, features shorter wet-on-wet application time and has a wide application window to increase process efficiency.
In addition, at ECOAT18 earlier this year, PPG launched three new products to enhance substrate protection. They include:
- PPG POWERCRON 9100HE coating, a high-edge, cationic epoxy offering excellent corrosion resistance in an advanced formulation that is free of heavy metals and offers low volatile organic compounds (VOCs);
- PPG Powercron 160 coating, a high film-build anionic epoxy-based product; and
- PPG ULTRAX Metal Conditioner 261, a neutral de-scaler engineered to facilitate the processing of mixed metal parts and assemblies on the same production line.