An article examining the trends and issues shaping the Industrial Coatings market was published in the June issue of Coatings World.
Here is a look at some of the latest product launches.
AkzoNobel has launched a number of new products for the industrial coatings market. For Coil, the company has recently launched TRINAR A-CLAD in North America.
TRINAR A-CLAD is a new coil coating system targeting the aluminum composite panel market.
- Offers an expansive product portfolio containing the latest appearance options in a proprietary formulation that displays improved product performance, such as improved scratch and abrasion resistance to withstand fabrication and installation, increased adhesion, and better stain resistance;
- Formulated with PFOA-free PVDF, making it a sustainable choice and providing peace of mind.
In Packaging, AkzoNobel has recently added some matt overprint varnishes to Aquaprime 104 for 2-piece aluminum beer and beverage cans.
- Distinctive matte effect - increases the product’s shelf presence in-store;
- Superb can mobility through can/filling lines – reducing costly stoppages and downtime;
- Optimized performance for the necker stage of the can-making process;
- Good flow and leveling on can surfaces;
- Delivers excellent abrasion performance, exceeding the toughest global standard.
In Wood, there have been three new products:
1) PurTone Stain System – a revolutionary stain system that develops the natural tone of the wood while simplifying the process – ideal for cabinets, furniture, millwork, and paneling.
- Reduced finishing labor costs compared to wipe stain finishes;
- Distinct aesthetics for higher consumer perception;
- Ease of application and uniform appearance for higher consumer perception;
- Multi-line application;
- Elimination of variability found in hand-wiping
Available in North America.
2) NaturaMatte - Natural finish, high-performance UV coatings for flooring
NaturaMatte UV coatings for flooring brings the popular Scandinavian, natural, low gloss look to North America in a high-performance finish. While most products in the market display higher gloss at low viewing angles, NaturaMatte coatings deliver a consistent matte appearance from any angle.
- Matte finish from all viewing angles;
- Superior scratch and abrasion resistance;
- Transparent finish with distinct and clear appearance;
- Warm, natural, organic look and feel;
- Excellent mar and stain resistance that exceeds industry standards;
- Suitable for all UV application lines with gloss control capability
3) Rubbol 33XX range from Sikkens Wood Coatings – next generation of opaque, waterborne single pack topcoats for wooden joinery, doors and cladding.
The RUBBOL WF 33XX range delivers endless possibilities from a single platform. This versatile range of opaque, waterborne single pack top coats provides excellent application properties, ﬂow and hiding power – as well as premium leveling and excellent blocking resistance.
- Best-ever protection, ensuring an extended lifetime and superb appearance;
- High-quality surface and a great look and feel to any wooden doors, joinery, or cladding;
- Available in satin, semi-matt and semi-gloss ﬁnishes, the RUBBOL® WF 33XX range also provides premium results with lower costs and less rework.
With the March 2020 acquisition of Alpha Coating Technologies, PPG has expanded its powder coatings offering. PPG now offers small batch and low cure powder coating manufacturing capabilities for general finishes, light industrial, furniture and heat-sensitive substrate end uses. This acquisition also has enabled its quick-ship program for SilverSan antibacterial-protected powder coatings. PPG’s customers can receive SilverSan powder coatings with two-day shipping orders in the top 30 RAL colors that weigh up to 200 pounds (91 kilograms). PPG is offering five-day shipping on orders for SilverSan coating in 170 alternative RAL colors, or on shipments that weigh more than 200 pounds.
Hempel’s Protective segment has launched Hempafire Optima 500, a new waterborne coating in its Hempafire passive fire protection range. Passive fire protection coatings improve building safety by extending the load-bearing capacity of structural steel during a fire to give extra time for evacuation and emergency response – and they are increasingly demanded by local authorities and building owners. Hempafire Optima 500 provides up to 120 minutes of fire protection and, as a low-VOC coating, it helps customers meet environmental targets. Like the other products in the Hempafire range, Hempafire Optima 500 is optimized for application efficiency and so contributes to improved productivity and reduced project costs for customers compared to similar coatings on the market.
Hempel has also refined its services. The company has introduced new services and increased focus on reducing customers’ operational costs. This applies to both long-term costs (by improving finished coating quality to increase performance) and short-term costs (by lowering costs and waste through a more efficient application).