PUBLIC COMPANY; YEAR ESTABLISHED: 1947
REVENUE: $5.3 billion s (2017: $5 billion)
Roofing systems; Caulks and sealants; Flooring systems; Corrosion control coatings; Primers-sealers; Specialty paints; Hobby and craft paints; Wood stains and finishes; Rust-preventative paints
Frank C. Sullivan, chairman and CEO; Terry Horan, Consumer Products Group; John McLaughlin, Specialty Products Group; Paul Hoogenboom, Construction Products Group; David Dennsteadt, Performance Coatings Group.
RPM International Inc. is a multinational holding company with subsidiaries that manufacture and market high-performance coatings, sealants, and specialty chemicals, primarily for maintenance, repair and improvement applications. RPM reported revenue for 2018 of $5.3 billion. The company employs approximately 14,500 people and has 145 facilities in 26 countries. In fiscal 2018, the company’s industrial products accounted for 53 percent of its total coating sales, consumer products represented 33 percent and specialty coatings represented 14 percent. The Industrial segment’s operating groups include Tremco, Stonhard, Carboline and Tremco illbruck. The Specialty segment’s operating groups are Day-Glo, Dryvit, Mohawk, and Petit. The Consumer segment’s operating groups include Rust-Oleum Group, DAP, Varathane, Zinsser, and Testors.
RPM has a diverse portfolio with hundreds of brand name products, many of which hold the leadership position in terms of market share and sales in the markets they serve.
According to the company, brand leadership affords RPM’s operating companies a number of advantages, including the ability to command premium pricing, shorten sales cycles and gain repeat purchases due to brand loyalty. The following products were recently launched:
• Factor 4 by Rust-Oleum is a new synthetic car wax system with superior protection delivers a showroom shine that protects up to three years;
• Modern Masters has rolled out a line of Exterior Metallics for professional painters and serious DIYers.The Exterior Metallic Paint program offers excellent durability, easy application and fast dry times.
Carboline has launched Carbomastic 615 MC, an outstanding surface tolerant epoxy mastic with low VOC’s. It cures fast, at low temperatures, with ultra-low VOC and ultra-low HAPs emissions. It’s ideal for industrial maintenance and new construction for customers where VOC limits are below 100 g/l. Carbomastic 615 MC has outstanding tolerance for marginal surface preparation and provides superb corrosion protection.
• Rust-Oleum: No. 1 brand recognition and market share position in the U.S. and Canada in the rust-preventative, decorative, specialty and professional segments of the small-project paint category;
• Varathane: No. 1 market position in Canada and No. 2 in the U.S. offering interior wood stains, finishes, wood repair and maintenance products;
• Zinsser: A leader in brand recognition and market share position in the U.S. market for specialty primers and sealers and wallcovering sundries;
• Pettit: The global market leader in water-based antifouling paints for the marine industry;
• Stonhard: No. 1 global supplier of industrial, high-performance polymer flooring systems;
• Carboline: Leading global supplier of industrial, high-performance corrosion control coatings
Fiscal 2019 acquisitions:
• Mean Green branded line of specialty cleaning products;
• Exclusive North American licensing for Roto-Rooter branded drain care products;
• Nudura Corporation, the leading manufacturer and distributor of insulated concrete forms (ICF) in North America;
• Siamons International Inc., provider of the Concrobium brand of non-toxic specialty mold cleaners.
RPM Announces Three Senior Promotions as Part of Organizational Realignment
RPM International Inc. has promoted Lonny DiRusso to vice president and chief information officer, Matthew Franklin to vice president – information technology, and Gordon Hyde to vice president – operations.
In his new role, DiRusso will be responsible for ensuring that RPM’s corporate-wide IT program aligns with its overall strategic vision. He will report directly to Frank C. Sullivan, the company’s chairman and chief executive officer. Prior to this promotion, DiRusso held the position of vice president – information technology at RPM for the past 13 years and, before that, the titles of director – information technology and management information systems manager.
As VP – IT, Franklin will be responsible for day-to-day IT support at RPM’s corporate headquarters, providing senior oversight of IT initiatives companywide and managing its information security program. Having joined RPM 20 years ago, he previously held the position of senior director – IT operations. Franklin is a member of The Conference Board’s CISO Council, where he serves on its executive committee.
In his new role, Hyde will be joining colleague Timothy Kinser, also recently appointed as vice president – operations, to team together to lead RPM’s manufacturing, supply chain and procurement improvement initiatives. He will primarily be focused on driving manufacturing efficiencies, asset optimization and inventory improvement. Hyde began his career at RPM more than 20 years ago as vice president – operations for Zinsser, a former RPM operating company, and subsequently held similar positions at RPM and its Wood Finishes Group before joining RPM Specialty Products Group in 2015.