The Martinswerk businesses will become part of HEM’s Fire Retardant Additives (FRA) business unit. The following product groups are included in the acquisition:
- Martinal precipitated and ground alumina trihydrate
- Magnifin premium precipitated magnesium hydroxide
- A variety of specialty chemical products:
- Martifin specialty hydrates for paper
- Martoxid aluminum oxide primarily for ceramics
- Pergopak flatting agents primarily for coatings
- Compalox granulated activated alumina
The acquisition marks the fourth and largest addition to HEM’s Fire Retardant Additive business in the last five years and is another exciting step in the unit’s continued growth. Earlier this year, Huber purchased the Safire® nitrogen and phosphorous flame retardant technology from Floridienne Group and Catena Additives. In 2012, Huber bought the specialty hydrate flame retardant business from Almatis and in 2010, the Kemgard® flame retardant and smoke suppressant business from Sherwin Williams.
HEM has been a trusted supplier of flame retardants and smoke suppressants for more than 30 years and produces value-added alumina trihydrate, magnesium hydroxide, molybdate compounds and nitrogen and phosphorus products for a variety of end-use applications, including reinforced polyester molding and pultrusion, engineering thermoplastics, roofing, silicone rubber, wire and cable, coatings and carpet backing.