For the first time, The New American Home (TNAH) features this innovative sealing technology, resulting in a HERS Index of 45, LEED Platinum certification, NGBS Emerald Certification, and meeting the requirements for ZERH certification.
Tucker Bernard, Executive Director at the NAHB, has overseen TNAH project for many years and has over forty years of construction experience. Barnard said AeroBarrier shaved 5 points off the HERS Index, from a 50 to 45, he says, "Everyone was blown away by its application and its desiccation; it is a standalone product."
The energy rater for TNAH, Drew Smith, from Two Trails, said by using AeroBarrier it cut the Air Changes per Hour (ACH) in half, from 6 to 2.78. Smith said, "Everyone wants to see it installed on the 2019 TNAH. Products like AeroBarrier are making it possible to accomplish superior energy efficiency with little or no additional cost, as long as there is good pre-planning."
Along with his position at Two Trails, Smith is also Florida Building Commissioner - Green Building.
Mandalay Homes, 8-time recipient of the DOE Innovation Award, and owner of the most ZERH single-family homes in the United States, is an early adopter of AeroBarrier. Mandalay's Founder, Dave Everson states, "AeroBarrier has been instrumental to our energy efficiency success and meeting our very high performance standards."
Key points about AeroBarrier include:
- Building science professionals are embracing AeroBarrier as the most significant envelope-sealing breakthrough in recent years;
- AeroBarrier improves air quality and the health of the building area, by making it easier to control particulates;
- AeroBarrier improves acoustics of a building area, by reducing outside noise and sealing holes as small as a hair follicle;
- AeroBarrier is GREENGUARD Gold certified;
- AeroBarrier makes it easier to meet the stringent leakage requirements of ratings, standards, and codes such as LEED, Passive House, ZERH, and the 2015 IECC;
- AeroBarrier is available in all U.S. markets