“Our innovations will continue to position the new Dow to deliver more differentiated products and solutions for our customers, bring value to our shareholders and address some of the world’s greatest challenges,” said A.N. Sreeram, SVP, R&D, and chief technology officer for Dow.
The 2018 R&D 100 award-winning Dow technologies are:
- AQUACHILL Cool Coating: AQUACHILL Cool Coating is a ComfortScience-enabled, water-based phase change material coating for bedding materials and other cooling applications that maximize initial and sustained cooling while providing breathability, optimal durability, best-in-class adhesion, and minimal odor;
- DOWSIL SE 9160 Adhesive: DOWSIL SE 9160 is a one-part silicone-based adhesive with Hybrid curing (UV cure with secondary moisture cure), which provides water- and dust-proof reliability and process-ability for PCB system assemblies. It offers a controlled flow and reparability for optimized dispensing processes and allows consumer device manufacturers to save cost;
- ECOFAST Pure Sustainable Textile Treatment: ECOFAST Pure Sustainable Textile Treatment is a breakthrough technology that enables unique, brighter colors on cotton while reducing water, energy, dye and chemical use in the dying process. This patented pretreatment helps to advance a more efficient and sustainable apparel industry by meeting the ZDHC Roadmap to Zero Program standards and decreasing the need for chemicals by up to 90 percent and water by up to 50 percent. ECOFAST Pure is compatible with reactive, direct and acid dyes and can be applied to knit and woven fabric, denim and garments;
- ENGAGE PV Polyolefin Elastomers: As the global photovoltaic (PV) market continues to grow, material selection can be a critical component in the ongoing success of PV module manufacturers. ENGAGE PV Polyolefin Elastomers (POEs) help make the choice for PV encapsulant films easier with opportunities for exceptional long-term performance, reliability, and lower overall energy cost;
- Tenter Frame Biaxially Orientable Polyethylene Resin: Tenter Frame Biaxially Oriented Polyethylene (TF-BOPE) film is an innovative and revolutionary addition to the INNATE Precision Packaging Resin family. It provides higher mechanical properties and material rigidity, along with better optical and printing performance. Compared to traditional polyethylene (PE) products, TF-BOPE can achieve up to 80 percent less haze, twice the impact strength, twice the tensile modulus, three times the puncture resistance, and three times the tensile strength.
With six awards, Dow again won more than any other company. This year marks seven straight years of Dow products appearing on the R&D 100 list.