The 4th Annual Axalta All-Pro Teachers program received hundreds of nominations from local Philadelphia-area schools, and 10 teachers were chosen for their educational drive, innovative use of technology, and community commitment in and out of the classroom.
"Everywhere you turn STEM education is needed, and STEM careers are a fast-growing job market around the world," said Robert Bryant, Axalta's CEO. "For Axalta, teachers are important partners because of their integral role in motivating students to dream big and fulfill their potential, especially in STEM careers in industries like sports, racing, automobiles, cybersecurity, and coatings. Great students become great leaders, and it is a pleasure to continue our partnership with The Philadelphia Eagles to recognize great teachers."
Each of the 10 Axalta All-Pro Teachers received $2,000 for continued STEM initiatives and programming, a personalized Eagles jersey and football, four tickets to an Eagles home game with parking, an invitation for four guests to attend the Axalta All-Pro Teachers Awards Ceremony held in December, and an automatic nomination to be named "Axalta All-Pro Teacher of the Year".
Bryan Pawling, one of the 10 All-Pro Teachers, was also named the 2018 Axalta All-Pro Teacher of the Year and received an additional $5,000 donation from Axalta for KIPP Lanning Middle School in Camden, NJ where he is an 8th-grade teacher. Bryan was nominated by Bridgit Cusato-Rosa, the founding principal at KIPP, who said: "Bryan has worked tirelessly to create a science program that allows our scholars to own their learning. His commitment to our students and STEM education is inspiring and relentless." To honor Bryan, an Eagles-themed school pep rally will be held for the entire student body between now and the end of the 2018-2019 school year.
"As we know, teachers work to inspire and motivate their students to reach their full potential every day," said Eagles President Don Smolenski. "We are proud to once again partner with Axalta on a program that pays tribute to their exceptional commitment to students throughout the Philadelphia area."
The 10 2018 Axalta All-Pro Teachers are:
- Denise Boyles, an 8th-grade teacher at Smyrna Middle School, in Smyrna, DE;
- Brian Corcoran, a 6th-grade teacher at Joyanne D. Miller Elementary School in Egg Harbor Township, NJ;
- Ari Ford, a 6th-grade teacher at Woodbury Junior-Senior High School in Woodbury, NJ;
- Liam Gallagher, a 6th-grade teacher at Upland Country Day School, in Kennett Square, PA;
- Katelyn Johnson, a 7th-grade teacher at Gunning Bedford Middle School in New Castle, DE;
- Nicole Macaluso, a 6th-grade teacher at Samuel Mickle School in Mickleton, NJ;
- Barbara McCarty, a 7th-grade teacher at Timberlane Middle School, Pennington, NJ;
- Chris McCrum, a 9th-grade teacher at LEAP Academy in Camden, NJ;
- Bryan Pawling, an 8th-grade teacher at KIPP Lanning Square Middle School in Camden, NJ;
- Tami Soltow, a 9th-grade teacher at Odyssey Charter High School in Wilmington, DE