"We have witnessed an emerging trend toward warmer shades along with color combinations with black to challenge white's position," said Nancy Lockhart, Axalta global color marketing manager. "Although neutral spaces are the headliners, there is an indication of a return to color to change the automotive landscape. Blue is most popular outside the neutrals and holding strong at seven percent of the market, increases of orange and bronze are popping up and gaining interest."
Click here to access Axalta's full Color Popularity Report.
Regional highlights from the 2018 report include:
- Asia: Even with a one percent drop, yellow/gold is most popular worldwide in India and China. Blue is being reimagined in Japan as ecological friendly shade. In Korea, black increased two percent;
- Europe: Europe is experiencing an upward trend of gray with a two percent increase;
- North America: Brown/beige experienced a two percent year-over-year increase; that is the biggest gain for any region;
- Russia: The most popular region for brown/beige at nine percent, Russia is followed by China at seven percent;
- South America: Red decreased one point to eight percent making this region second only to North America (nine percent);
- South Africa: Orange shows an increase from 2017, and 3.6 percent of all vehicles fall into the "Others" category.
"For the first time in the history of our reporting, gray ranks second in the region making it a major player in the neutrals space," said Elke Dirks, Axalta OEM color designer – EMEA.