YEAR ESTABLISHED: 1947
HEADCOUNT: 9,700 t (2008: 10,360)
Coatings REVENUEs: $3.368 billion t (2008: 3.643)
TotaL REVENUEs: $3.368 billion t (2008: 3.643)
Net income: $119.6 million s (2008: $47.7)
• Industrial Segment: 67%
• Consumer Segment: 33%
Frank C. Sullivan, chairman and CEO; Ronald A. Rice, president and COO; P. Kelly Tompkins, executive VP-administration and CFO; Key managers: John J. McLaughlin, DAP; Thomas E. Reed, Rust-Oleum; Charles G. Pauli, RPM II; Randall J. Korach, Tremco; David P. Reif, StonCor.
RPM International Inc. is a multinational holding company with subsidiaries that manufacture and market high-performance coatings, sealants and specialty chemicals, primarily for maintenance and improvement applications. Industrial products accounted for 67 percent of fiscal 2009 sales, with consumer products accounting for the remaining 33 percent. Industrial segment net sales totaled $2.27 billion, a decline of 4.3% from $2.37 billion last year. Consumer segment net sales totaled $1.10 billion, a decline of 13.6% from $1.28 billion during fiscal 2008.
The Industrial Segment’s operating groups include RPM Building Solutions Group, which provides roofing systems, sealants and concrete admixtures. Leading brands include Tremco, Tremco illbruck and Euco. RPM Performance Coatings Group includes polymer floor coatings, corrosion control coatings and fiberglass reinforced plastic grating. Its primary brands include Stonhard, Carboline and Fibergrate. RPM II Group offers specialty chemicals, exterior insulation and finish systems and recreational marine coatings. Major brands include Day-Glo, Dryvit, Kop-Coat and Pettit.
Consumer products are sold primarily in North America and have a growing presence in Europe, predominantly in the UK. The Consumer Segment’s operating groups include Rust-Oleum Group, which provides rust-preventative and small project paints, primer-sealers, wallcovering preparation and removal products, wood stains and finishes, mildew resistant paints and hobbyist products. Major brands include Rust-Oleum, Zinsser, Varathane, Tor and Testors. DAP Group markets caulks, sealants and patch and repair products under the DAP brand.
RPM subsidiaries continued to build their businesses geographically and add product and service lines through acquisitions during fiscal 2009. On February 9, 2009, Tremco illbruck International GmbH acquired Karochemie AG, a leading supplier of sealants to the construction markets in Switzerland and Lichtenstein. With annual sales of more than $13 million, Karochemie’s distribution network and sealants expertise is expected to complement Tremco illbruck’s strengths in other parts of Europe.
On February 13, 2009, Carboline Company purchased a 49 percent interest in its Chinese licensee, Carboline Dalian Paint Production Co., Ltd. The remaining 51 percent of the joint venture is owned by UniChemical Company, a longstanding Carboline partner in another joint venture, Carboline Korea Ltd. Carboline Dalian has annual sales of approximately $10 million, and manufactures corrosion control coatings and linings for a variety of industries, including offshore drilling, oil and gas, petrochemical, general manufacturing and electrical generation.
On April 1, 2009, Tremco Incorporated acquired Canam Building Envelope Specialists Inc., including its Zerodraft weatherproofing division. With annual sales of approximately $6 million, and based in Mississauga, Ontario, Canam is one of the leading building envelope consulting firms in North America. It now operates as part of Tremco’s Weatherproofing Technologies Inc. subsidiary. Its Zerodraft division, which provides specialized retrofit weatherstripping and distributes a variety of related insulation and sealant products, is operating as part of Tremco’s Commercial Sealants and Waterproofing Division.
The Canam acquisition fits nicely with RPM’s existing aggressive promotion of building envelope solutions, which can dramatically reduce building energy consumption, and, therefore, greenhouse gas emissions, and offer rapid payback to building owners in terms of energy savings.
During 2009, RPM changed the names of two of its industrial segment operating groups to better reflect the nature of their businesses and end-market customers, and to better define their platform for further growth, both organically and through acquisitions. They are: RPM Building Solutions Group, formerly the Tremco Group, and consisting of Tremco Roofing, Tremco Sealants, Tremco illbruck, Tremco Barrier Solutions, Weatherproofing Technologies Inc., Euclid Chemical Company, Productos Cave, Prosytec, Increte and Compact Technologies; and RPM Performance Coatings Group, formerly the StonCor Group, and consisting of Stonhard, Carboline, Fibergrate, Plasite, Flowcrete, Star Maling and StonCor operations in Africa, Asia, Canada, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
RPM’s family of product lines, including paints, coatings, roofing systems, sealants and adhesives serve a broad range of markets in the U.S. and internationally. Globally, these markets generate approximately $170 billion in annual sales, with RPM capturing $3.4 billion in fiscal 2009. Of this amount, approximately 63% was in the U.S. and the remaining 37% was abroad. This leaves RPM with vast growth potential, both organically and through acquisitions, around the world. RPM is capturing opportunities abroad by growing its presence in established European economies and in emerging markets such as China, India and Latin America. In serving these markets, RPM has nearly 9,700 employees who operate its 92 manufacturing facilities in 22 countries. Net sales in North America totaled $2.387 billion; Europe, $693 million; South America/Latin America, $99 million; Africa/Middle East, $100 milion; and Asia/Pacific, $87 million.