YEAR ESTABLISHED: 1910
coatings REVENUEs: $2.110 billion
TotaL REVENUEs: $3.836 billion
Construction Segment: 81.4%
Industry Segment: 18.6%
Walter Grüebler, chairman of the board; Ernst Bärtschi, CEO; Group management: Alexander Bleibler, construction, contractors; Christoph Ganz, construction, distribution; Ernesto Schümperli, construction, concrete; Bruno Fritsche, industry; Silvio Ponti, Europe North; Hubert Perrin De Brichambaut, Europe South; Iven Chadwick, IMEA; Paul Schuler, North America; Jose Luis Vazquez, Latin America; Jan Janisch, Asia Pacific.
Sika’s product line includes concrete admixtures, sealants, adhesives, corrosion inhibitors, specialty mortars, epoxy resins, structural strengthening systems, grouts, anchoring adhesives, overlays, and protective coatings. The sale of adhesives, sealants and coatings amounted to approximately $2.110 billion in 2009, down from $2.356 billion the previous year. These products are spread out across the construction segment, which is reponsbile for about 80% of revenue, and the industry segment, which makes up the remaining 20%.
In January 2009 Sika took over the English Iotech Group Limited, with subsidiaries in Great Britain, the U.S. and Belgium. Iotech is a specialist in the formulation, production and distribution of polyurethane liquid membranes and their precursor products.
In September Sika purchased a majority interest in Jiangsu TMS Admixture Co., Ltd. The company is a leading provider of concrete admixtures to the dynamically expanding Eastern Chinese market.
Also during the year, in Antwerp, Belgium, Sika brought a new plant on line for production of the high-performance superplasticizers Sika ViscoCrete and SikaPlast. Con struction of this facility, which has an annual capacity of 40,000 tons, was necessary because the demand for Sika ViscoCrete had grown by a multiple of what it was upon market launch in 2000.
In Tocancipá, Colombia, Sika opened a new factory that encompasses administration and laboratory buildings, a logistics center and production facilities for epoxy resin coatings, acrylic resins and sealants on an area of 64,400 square meters.