Specifically, this agreement includes Dow Corning® MS-0002, MS-1001, MS-1002, MS-1003, and
MS-2002 (White Reflector) Moldable Optical Silicone materials. These materials are offering cutting-edge benefits for commercial and residential lighting, automotive and consumer goods applications.
“R.D. Abbott has a long history of being a technically innovative supplier for Dow Corning. We look forward to extending this partnership by distributing their optical silicone products throughout North American and by developing new solutions for efficient, reliable, and cost-effective lighting designs,” said Keith Thomas, President and CEO of R.D. Abbott.
Optical component designs have typically been limited to materials like glass, polycarbonate (PC), and PMMA. But with the market demands for more efficient, safer, longer-lasting, and durable lighting systems, Optically Clear LSR materials are providing an innovative alternative.
These flexible materials offer excellent optical clarity, can withstand heat and resist yellowing better than plastic, and are lighter than glass.
They can also:
• Operate in a wide range of temperatures and withstand heat in close proximity to high-output LEDs
• Be molded into complex shapes, offering extensive design flexibility
• Resist scratches, cracks, or breakage
• Retain fine details and be used for precision molding applications, including optical-quality surfaces
• Offer thick wall cross section flexibility without sink marks
• Offer protection from impact and vibration
• Streamline manufacturing with rapid cure times and material flexibility to allow easier demolding