An antimicrobial is an agent that interferes with the growth and reproduction of bacteria.Antimicrobial finishes, in particular, help prevent and restrict the spread of harmful bacteria such as E. coli, Listeria and Pseudomonas on contact surfaces. Public increase in awareness and attention to overall health and safety has attributed to the rise in interest for antimicrobial finishes on an array of electric heating offerings.
According to the CDC, common colds are the main reason that children and adults miss school and work. Adults have an average of two to three colds per year while children have even more. Based on this growing awareness and interest, Marley Engineered Products offers antimicrobial coating on ceiling panels, cabinet unit heaters, convector heaters and wall heaters. Plans also are under way to expand coating offerings to additional product families to meet more facility needs.
After reviewing the various uses and benefits of electrical heating products in environments with typically high concentrations of bacteria, it becomes apparent why products with antimicrobial finishes are more useful than their standard counterparts.
All healthcare facilities require comfort heating systems. Systems that can be enhanced with an antimicrobial coating include those in:
· Hospitals and Doctors’ Offices: Radiant panels with antimicrobial coating are ideal for keeping people warm without blowing heat and spreading germs.
· Waiting Rooms: Cabinet unit heaters with antimicrobial coating in waiting rooms supply additional heat for comfort while minimizing germs.
· Geriatric Centers and Assisted-Living Facilities: Wall heaters or radiant heating panels with antimicrobial coating are useful for providing gentle comfort while preventing the spread of harmful bacteria.
There are a host of commercial and institutional spaces that can benefit from electric heating products that feature antimicrobial finishes:
· Restaurants: Steel or aluminum convectors can be placed along windows to keep the cold out while helping maintain high cleanliness levels.
· Daycare Centers: Radiant panels installed on ceilings keep children warm and, because the panels are out of reach, keep children safe.
· High Schools and Universities: A variety of heaters can be installed in spaces that include classrooms, hallways, dormitories, restrooms, locker rooms and more.
Airports, office buildings and dozens of other applications also could benefit from comfort heating solutions with antimicrobial coatings. Many facilities today seek customized solutions beyond standard heating for improved quality of life. Fortunately, the advent of antimicrobial finish heaters will enable those environments to provide both comfort – and safety.