PUBLIC COMPANY; YEAR ESTABLISHED: 1947
REVENUE: $5 billion (2016: $4.8 billion)
Roofing systems; Caulks and sealants; Flooring systems; Corrosion control coatings; Primers-sealers; Specialty paints; Hobby and craft paints; Wood stains and finishes; Rust-preventative paints
Frank C. Sullivan, chairman and CEO; Ronald A. Rice, president and COO; Edward Vorhees, Rust-Oleum Group; Terry Horan, DAP Group; Steve Knoop, Specialty Products Group; Paul Hoogenboom, Tremco Group; Reiner Eisenhut, Tremco Illbruck Group; David Dennsteadt, Performance Coatings Group.
RPM International Inc. is a multinational holding company with subsidiaries that manufacture and market high-performance coatings, sealants, and specialty chemicals, primarily for maintenance, repair and improvement applications. RPM reported revenue for 2017 of $5 billion. The company employs approximately 14,000 people and has 139 facilities in 26 countries. In fiscal 2017, the company’s industrial products accounted for 52 percent of its total coating sales, consumer products represented 34 percent and specialty coatings represented four percent. The Industrial segment’s operating groups include Tremco, Stonhard, Carboline and Tremco illbruck. The Specialty segment’s operating groups are Day-Glo, Dryvit, Mohawk, and Petit. The Consumer segment’s operating groups include Rust-Oleum Group, DAP, Varathane, Zinsser, and Testors.
RPM has a diverse portfolio with hundreds of brand name products, many of which hold the leadership position in terms of market share and sales in the markets they serve.
According to the company, brand leadership affords RPM’s operating companies a number of advantages, including the ability to command premium pricing, shorten sales cycles and gain repeat purchases due to brand loyalty. The following products were recently launched:
• Carboline Carbozinc 608 HB Zinc Rich Epoxy Primer can eliminate the epoxy intermediate coat of a typical 3-coat system;
• RPM Belgium Vandex Matacryl bridge deck waterproofing system can be applied in low temperatures and is fully weather resistant in 45-60 minutes;
• Rust-Oleum RockSolid Professional Polycuramine coatings are 20 times stronger than traditional epoxy floor coatings.
RPM’s Tremco Roofing’s AlphaGuard bio-based polyurethane coating system was used to restore Ford Field’s 340,000-square-foot domed roof in Detroit, Michigan. Roof restoration typically costs one-third to one-half as much as a replacement. After performing comprehensive diagnostics of the 14-year-old PVC single ply roof and finding minimal damage, Tremco Roofing recommended restoring the roof instead of replacing it. Spot repairs were made, the roof cleaned with the environmentally-friendly RoofTec system, and the durable AlphaGuard BIO fluid applied system installed.
In addition to waterproofing the roof, AlphaGuard BIO’s highly reflective topcoat can help reduce energy use as it absorbs much less heat than a traditional black roof. The project was completed in about 60 days, compared to a possible nine months for replacement.
• Rust-Oleum: No. 1 brand recognition and market share position in the U.S. and Canada in the rust-preventative, decorative, specialty and professional segments of the small-project paint category
• Varathane: No. 1 market position in Canada and No. 2 in the U.S. offering interior wood stains, finishes, wood repair and maintenance products
• Zinsser: A leader in brand recognition and market share position in the U.S. market for specialty primers and sealers and wallcovering sundries
• Pettit: The global market leader in water-based antifouling paints for the marine industry
• Stonhard: No. 1 global supplier of industrial, high-performance polymer flooring systems
• Carboline: No. 1 U.S. supplier and a leading global supplier of industrial, high-performance corrosion control coatings
Fiscal 2018 Acquisitions:
• Miracle Sealants, a manufacturer of sealers and cleaners for tile and natural stone
• Whink, specialty cleaners manufacturer
• Ekspan Holdings, a provider of motion control products for bridges
• Key Resin, a manufacturer of polymer flooring and coating systems.