PUBLIC COMPANY; YEAR ESTABLISHED: 1947
REVENUE: $5.6 billion s (2018: $5.3 billion)
Roofing systems; Caulks and sealants; Flooring systems; Corrosion control coatings; Primers-sealers; Specialty paints; Hobby and craft paints; Wood stains and finishes; Rust-preventative paints
Frank C. Sullivan, chairman and CEO; Terry Horan, Consumer Products Group; Ronnie Holman, Specialty Products Group; Paul Hoogenboom, Construction Products Group; David Dennsteadt, Performance Coatings Group.
RPM International Inc. is a multinational holding company with subsidiaries that manufacture and market high-performance coatings, sealants, and specialty chemicals, primarily for maintenance, repair and improvement applications. The company has 156 facilities in 26 countries and employs approximately 15,000 people. In fiscal 2019, the company’s industrial products accounted for 54 percent of its total coating sales, consumer products represented 34 percent and specialty coatings represented 12 percent. The Industrial segment’s operating groups include Tremco, Stonhard, Carboline and Tremco illbruck. The Specialty segment’s operating groups are Day-Glo, Dryvit, Mohawk, and Petit. The Consumer segment’s operating groups include Rust-Oleum Group, DAP, Varathane, Zinsser, and Testors.
Recently launched products:
• Rust-Oleum unveiled Vinyl Wrap, a removable vinyl coating that provides customization for automotive and other applications. It provides a smooth, glossy finish with premium performance and protection from road debris and gasoline.
• AlphaGuard PUMA Liquid Applied Roofing Systems provide benefits year-round but work especially well in temperatures as low as -20°F. Once installed, the system is waterproof within 30 minutes and can accept foot traffic after one to two hours. This solution restores a variety of roof types and works just as well for new or replacement roofing projects.
• Watco launched All-in-One Lacquer + Color, which delivers an ultra-high gloss, tintable lacquer finish for bare wood and painted surfaces, eliminating the need for sanding or priming. It dries to the touch in one hour and provides a smooth surface and long-lasting protection against surface scratches.
• Rust-Oleum: No. 1 brand recognition and market share position in the U.S. and Canada in the rust-preventative, decorative, specialty and professional segments of the small-project paint category
• Varathane: No. 1 market position in Canada and No. 2 in the U.S. offering interior wood stains, finishes, wood repair and maintenance products
• Zinsser: A leader in brand recognition and market share position in the U.S. market for specialty primers and sealers and wallcovering sundries
• Pettit: The global market leader in water-based antifouling paints for the marine industry
• Stonhard: No. 1 global supplier of industrial, high-performance polymer flooring systems
• Carboline: Leading global supplier of industrial, high-performance corrosion control coatings
Fiscal 2020 acquisitions:
• Schul International Co., LLC, a manufacturer of joint sealants for commercial construction
• Willseal LLC, a business that markets and sells Schul products.
2019 Success Stories
Carboline, a global leader in coatings, linings and fireproofing, recently hosted the grand opening of its Carboline Fire-Science Research Center at 350 Hanley Industrial Court in St Louis, MO. This six-million-dollar addition to Carboline’s Research, Development and Innovation Center allows Carboline to accelerate its speed to market by three years.
Guardian Protection Products recently won a silver Stevie Award in the Customer Service Innovation category during the 14th annual Stevie Awards for Sales & Customer Service, the world’s top honors for customer service, contact center, business development and sales professionals. The event organizes eight of the world’s leading business awards programs, including the prestigious American Business Awards and International Business Awards.
One major international project is the new Jumeirah Gate Tower being developed in Dubai. A mixed-use development consisting of two 74-story, high-rise towers, it will feature a five-star hotel, serviced apartments and resident units—all joined at the upper level with a roof-top destination restaurant, bar and infinity pool. Despite strong competition from all major coating manufacturers, Carboline was selected to provide 250,000 liters of its fireproof Carboguard, Nullifire, Firefilm and Carbothane paints and coatings for this landmark project.
Another major project is the Temburong Bridge, a nearly 20-mile mega bridge currently under construction in Brunei. Designed to be the longest over-sea crossing in Southeast Asia, it will connect Mengkubau and Sungai Besar in Brunei-Muara District and Labu Estate in Temburong District. Pitchmastic PmB International, part of the USL Group, was awarded a subcontract to install its PmB structural waterproofing system along the entire length of the bridge. This is one of the largest projects ever undertaken by the USL Group.